“Emerald green” is a universal color because it is reflective of the most beautiful unique jewel, the emerald.Scientifically ,it is a beryllium-aluminum silicate whose color is due to small quantities of chromium compounds. It has Mohs Hardness of 7 to 8 with a hexagonal crystal structure. It is known as Markata in Sanskrit , Panna in Hindi , Emerald in English and Jamrood in Urdu.
Colombia is by far the world’s largest producer of emeralds and Zambia is the world’s second biggest producer.Apart from that Emeralds are found all over the world in countries such as Afghanistan, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Bulgaria, India , South Africa etc.
Color: Stones that are medium to dark green are considered emerald.The finest emeralds are 75% color on a scale where 0% would be colorless and 100% would be black. In addition, a fine stone should be well saturated, the shade of an emerald should be glowing bright and deep Green.
Clarity:Emerald usually have lots of inclusions. Unlike diamond, where magnification is used to grade clarity, emerald is graded by eye. If an emerald has no visible inclusions or flaws to the eye (normal vision) it is considered flawless.
Carat: the higher the carat size of Emerald the higher the value is , keeping in mind the rest of the factors also. A small size stone with good color and clarity can be rated higher than a bigger sized gem with flaws.
Crystal:this is rated on the basis of the translucency of the stone.A stone that is more transparent is supposed to better than a stone that is completely opaque.
BENEFITS / HEALING VALUES
- Lucky for love, give your lover an emerald to stay faithful.
- Emerald is associated with the 4th, or Heart Chakra , and the element of air, generates harmony in all aspects of your life.
- Emeralds are said to have healing properties for the physical heart as well as the emotional heart. Indeed, emotional stress takes its toll on the physical body, but emeralds relieve that stress, allowing healing to occur.
- Healing green of the emerald may soothe your heartache while it works to preserve your love.
- Emerald is the gemstone representative of planet Mercury.
- Emerald is very effective for the people born under the zodiac sign Gemini.
- It is believed that Emerald protects the wearer from evil spirits.
- As Mercury signifies nervous system therefore Emerald is also favorable for people who suffer from mental illness, nervous problems etc.
- A minimum of 2.5 carats is enough to be worn for astrological reasons and must be set preferably in gold. A gemstone of 2-3 carats is good and a Emerald of 3-7 carats is most advisable.
MAINTENANCE AND CARE FOR EMERALDS
- Do not leave your emerald ring on while washing dishes or using soap
- Do not wear your emerald when you might be engaging in physical activity that might scratch the stone.
- To clean your emerald, use room temperature running water and apply a little oil for shine.
- An emerald should never be exposed to high heat.
- After many years of wear, you may wish to have your Emerald re-oiled. Most local Jewelers can provide this service.